Life On The Border

Wouldn't it be lovely to add another upbeat and cheery blog to the world? Don't hold your breath. You'll get what I get: sometimes great, sometimes crap. It's a rollercoaster ride with Sybil at the switch, so hold on to your shorts! If you have questions you want answered in a future post, feel free to ask in the comments section, and I'll do my best to accommodate you. No two days are the same~some days I'm here, some days I'm not, but lemme tell ya, kids, IT'S NEVER DULL!

Monday, December 04, 2006

Who Was That Masked Woman?

Yesterday I saw my mother in church; we were sitting about 10 rows back from her when I spotted her grey hair up towards the front. She was wearing a short black sweater with a mandarin-style collar, and a single red and white flower pattern sewn on the back. It was quite typical of her, actually. She's always had a great sense of style.

As I watched her, she reached back and fixed her hair. This, too, is something that has been typical of her for as many years as I can remember. For some reason, she's always been concerned that her hair will be, "flat" in one spot. So she combs it out with her fingers, pulling it this way and that, finishing with a pat before going back to her songbook.

My mother has an interesting build. It's the type of build I wish I had, and probably would have, if I lost ... Oh, I don't know, a gazillion pounds. She has square shoulders, like those on a sewing dummy (what are those things called?); but her waist and hips are very narrow. Consequently, she can never buy a suit, "off the rack". She can buy some tops, but prefers to sew most of her pants herself. She's a size 8 on top because of her shoulders, although she's very thin, and about a 4-6 on the bottom.

I need to talk to my mother. There are so many things wrong, and day after day I feel like the only person in my life who can, or could, help me is my mother. She KNOWS .... understands. There's that knack for seeing inside me and getting to the heart of the problem, even if it's not exactly what I want to hear. But at least it's something tangible and useful, and ALWAYS done with love.

The only problem? My mother has been dead for 16 years.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I have not experienced the loss of a parent and in all likelyhood, will someday. I dread losing the two people in the world I count on to always be the sense of security and voice of reason when madness seeps into my soul.
This was a great post. Very well written. Im impressed.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Meggy said...

Thanks; I'm so glad to have you back.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home