Life On The Border

Wouldn't it be lovely to add another upbeat and cheery blog to the world? Don't hold your breath. You'll get what I get: sometimes great, sometimes crap. It's a rollercoaster ride with Sybil at the switch, so hold on to your shorts! If you have questions you want answered in a future post, feel free to ask in the comments section, and I'll do my best to accommodate you. No two days are the same~some days I'm here, some days I'm not, but lemme tell ya, kids, IT'S NEVER DULL!

Friday, April 21, 2006

Bang Bang, He Shot Me Down...

Bang bang he shot me down~
bang bang I hit the ground~
bang bang that awful sound~
bang bang my baby shot me down...

Or...

One of Oprah's "Ah Ha Moments".

On Wednesday in a blinding flash of clarity, I realised that my husband is one of my key "Triggers".For those of you who are not familiar with BPD triggers, it's what drives my world, but not always in a good way, unfortunately.

For example, he can come home from work and say, "I'm home!" in a cheerful and loving manner and I immediately feel cheerful and loving! Ah, he's happy, he's had a great day, being home is a good thing and the evening will go well. Everything is fine! Alternately, he can come home and say in a tired voice, "I'm home," and I immediately start wondering if he's depressed, or if he's just sick of living with me, or if something I've done in the preceding day has irked him, or if the whole bpd/bipolar disorder thing is just weighing him down. Could be he's just fatigued. Of course as soon as these thoughts (referred to as "twisted thinking") start to run rampant through my head, it's like horses through a starting gate, and I am, at this stage, powerless to stop them, as I've yet to learn the techniques I need to turn the tide in a different direction. Can I? Apparently. Am I? No.

Triggers are powerful, powerful signals for those with mental illness. Anyone who's been abused in any fashion will more than likely have triggers from those events. I know I have, and my husband knows what they are. For the most part, the triggers from my past have mostly been worked out. Unfortunately, there are new ones cropping up all the time.

What frustrates me is how your (my) day can go from average to downright-shit-in-the-toilet with the slightest trigger. And while an outside observer may say, "well, don't LET IT!", mental illness simply isn't that easy to control. An example:

I read the newspaper on my husband's computer. I have mine set with some freakin' setting that has locked my local newspaper out, so that all I get is gibberish if I try to open it. He knows I use his computer. He doesn't mind. He's free to use my computer, and I don't mind. He has access to my email if he wants it. I have access to all his files and he has access to all mine. In my mind, if you have an honest marriage and have nothing to hide, this shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I was looking for the bookmark I had set for my newspaper, and came across some bookmarks HE had set for BPD groups; essentially, support groups for him. BANG BANG!

Everything froze. For a brief moment, everything stood still as I stared at the undeniable proof that the man I love so dearly needs support in living with his wife. Undeniable proof that he seeks shelter from strangers when my behaviour becomes so unpredictable that he cannot understand it, or deal with it, on his own. Undeniable proof that he looks elsewhere in desperation when I am so crazy that he has no other option but to search for some sort of answer when I am not rational enough to give them on my own.

And I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, and the blood rushing in my ears. BANG BANG!

Hands in hair, fists in eyes. BANG BANG!

Anxiety level rising up, shooting up! I can't breathe! BANG BANG!

And then my mind breaks free~takes off on it's own and runs it's sick path; of COURSE he needs these groups! I'm wretched! Look at all the awful things I've said and done! No one would be able to cope with it. Who'd want to? Who could love me? *I* certainly don't! I'm nuts. I'll never be anything but nuts. If I can't do it, how can I expect those around me to? And the pain keeps rising and rising, twisting and clutching at my chest and in my head, my thoughts so completely skewed and wild that finally, I stop...because I'm too tired to go any further.

And I want to hurt myself. I want so desperately to punish myself for what I've put him through. Those thoughts slip through my mind ... so many ways ... and I scare myself. I drive faster and faster, more and more reckless, and the only things stopping me are the knowledge that I'll have no control over who I take with me ... and the look on my husband's face when he gets that phone call. But I need that pain! I need that punishment. Oh gawd, I want that hurt.

I collect the blades and alcohol and bandages and cotton and polysporin and butterflies. It's such a ritual. It's alternately neat and tidy and messy. The first pull doesn't hurt: it's just a marker. the second one over the first stings. The third and forth hurt some; then the fifth, sixth, seventh ... they hurt ... go deeper, wipe up, go deeper. When it stops hurting, you clean it up, and start putting it back together. Take pride in putting it back together. Never more than an inch long because that's longer than the bandage, and I can't go to an emergency ward: if they find out you cut, they drop you in psych. Make sure the butterflies are tight: faster healing, less scars.

And for thirty minutes, you feel better. For thirty minutes, you've bled away the pain. And as it gradually wears down, the humiliation sets in and you realize what you've done, again. You've acted out, like a child. You'll have the marks to prove it. And you feel worse than ever ~ especially when you see the sadness in his face when your loving husband sees the bandages you're trying so hard to hide.

Don't get me wrong. I don't put this on HIS shoulders; the blame goes where it belongs, which is squarely on mine. In more rational moments, I recognize that this is nutty behaviour. Normal people don't torment and abuse their bodies out of frustration. Normal people don't NEED pain to soothe their mental anguish. Normal people can use a regular formula of math to guide their lives: 2+2 will nearly always equal 4; for me, it can equal nearly anything.

Because I suffer from two mental illnesses, when I'm struck with symptoms of rising mania or panic which can mimic each other, I have to more or less try to calm myself enough to assess the symptoms based on thought processes, and then medicate myself. Can you imagine how difficult this is during an Olympic Nuttiness Event like the one described above? I try, and I'm getting better at it. Mania is more agitation, shakiness, irritation, sometimes energy. A BPD attack has more twisted thinking attached to it, so I have to pay more attention to the thought processes. If I'm thinking, "everyone hates me because I'm worthless", or "of course it turned out like this, I might as well just quit/leave/die right now", then it's more than likely BPD.

The medication is nearly the same. How I THINK is very different.

At the end of the day, when my husband comes home, it's crucial to make every effort to turn that back off; it's not his fault that these thoughts go through my head. And here's why:

Every day my husband tells me he loves me, and that he'll never leave me.
He's NEVER harsh or mean. He assures me that the rough times are a small price to pay for the joy we share when the stupid illnesses are under control. And he says that even though it's damned difficult at times and he does get tired, I DO refill the cup, by loving him right back.

Today I'm busy trying to control those thoughts. I really don't want to fuck up another weekend.

11 Comments:

Blogger ~ J ~ said...

wow.....thank you for that. I have a friend who was just diagnosed with BPD. I have known for a long long time something was going on in her head but she refused to admit it. It took her trying to do something to end her life for her to get the help she needs. She left for a treatment center a few days ago and I wont see her for 90 days. I hope they can teach her to know her triggers and to help her understand herself. I love her regardless.....


I will be back to keep reading...if you dont mind.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Meggy said...

She's going to be tough to love; we tend to go "whole hog"...we'll be so full of love, you adore us, then we'll be so full of shit, and pulling away so hard you'll never imagine what you loved to begin with. Maintain your boundaries and remember it's an illness, but that in order to recover, she's gotta work; good luck with your friend. Maybe go back to some of my earlier things if you want to get an insight into what it feels like "inside".

Glad to have you here.

Bo.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I want to say something but I am not sure what. Obviously I can relate more to your hubby but not really because you two seem to be a team and John and I have never had that. It was a bit of a slap in the face reading the words that John has tried to explain to me. That when I am negative, he feels worthless, useless and not worthy of love. It is hard for him and a huge responsibility for me. It may seem like walking away would be easy but when a person thinks their sanity depends on you, it simply isnt.
Even though these blogs are just a bit of who we are, I think of you often and wonder about you when you don't blog for a while. I do wish you peace girlfriend.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Oh and regarding the on line support groups. You really need to encourage hubby to participate in them. When he feels stressed, it is a place to go and vent instead of venting to you which could be a trigger. Everyone needs some outside support in some way. It isn't an insult to you but more an outlet for him when he hurts for you and your inner pain. May I link you on my blog?

6:22 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Wow, for someone who wasn't sure what she wanted to say,,,I surely came up with a freakin lot, didn't I lol

6:23 PM  
Blogger Meggy said...

Christine, I'd love for you to link me on your blog.

I meant to add in here that I dont begrudge *S* the online support group; the trigger is what it is: a trigger. Not right or wrong, just there.

However, NO ONE is responsible for my mental health. For me to tell my husband that he is (and I have tried that tactic in the past, by the way) is mental warfare, and guerilla guilt, and it's unfair. It's laziness. It's me saying that I want someone ELSE to do the work for my recovery. How the HELL does that work?? Nice if you can get it but....uh uh!

John needs to take responsibility, and I don't think I've ever heard a word that seems that he does. It's more than taking the pills. It's reading, it's learning, it's focusing, it's working your ass off to take your frustrations out on almost anything else BUT the people who are closest to you because it's simply not their fault. John seems to revel in it, and he loves the fact that he's got a choker chain called "wedded bliss" around your neck.

Cut and paste a few of these blogs and let him read them...see if he sees the difference.

Gina

6:31 PM  
Blogger ~ J ~ said...

Thanks so much for the insight. I do know that its going to be a tough road. Im well aware of the tough love. One min. she can be so full of joy and happiness......thankful for everything anyone has ever done for her. The next day she can suck the life and stregth out of me in a short 15 min conversation. The hard part is her seeing that she is control of her destiny. It has been very easy for her to blame the people around her. She jumped feet first into the over spending and then found herself cheating on her husband because of the lack of sex (that she had seemed to become addicted to) and understanding at home....then turned to drugs to self-medicate. All the textbook reactions to Bi-polar with a side of BPD. I just hope she doesnt walk away from the treatment center as soon as they start making her accountable.....

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon reading your entire blog. Thank you so much!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Meggy said...

Holy shit, suddenly I'm scared.

What I wanted from this blog was to write as catharsis, and to help someone else.

Now it seems I might be able to help someone else and I'm scared to death.

THAT'S BORDERLINE. I don't even want to write! But I will.

Bo.

10:02 AM  
Blogger ~ J ~ said...

Please dont be scared.....I will go away...or be quiet.


Better yet...how about I go away for awhile....I dont want to make you uncomfortable in your own home. I will check back in sometimes but I will tip toe in....how will that work for you?


J

12:20 PM  
Blogger Meggy said...

Noooo, what I want is readers! Commenters!

Stay...read...be at home!

I, however, WILL go away but just for a few days. My husband and I are going for a much deserved few days to the coast. Hopefully I'll post on Sunday night or Monday.

Good luck with your friend!

Bo

11:28 PM  
Blogger ~ J ~ said...

Ok good....I didnt want to intrude on your process.

Have fun at the coast!! I was born and raised on the central coast of California (Im an east caost dweller now) and there isnt a more beautiful place as far as Im concerned!


j

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home