Life On The Border

Wouldn't it be lovely to add another upbeat and cheery blog to the world? Don't hold your breath. You'll get what I get: sometimes great, sometimes crap. It's a rollercoaster ride with Sybil at the switch, so hold on to your shorts! If you have questions you want answered in a future post, feel free to ask in the comments section, and I'll do my best to accommodate you. No two days are the same~some days I'm here, some days I'm not, but lemme tell ya, kids, IT'S NEVER DULL!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

An Explanation

I want to try to explain a few things in response to a comment left for my previous post:

At this point, the Little Red Headed Girl may be a catalyst, but she's only the catalyst THIS time. It's not the first time I've been this ill. She just doesn't give me any room to work on recovery.

This response is a struggle. My mind won't form rational thoughts without a real fight, but damn, I'm trying. You see, BPD skewes my thought processes. If it didn't, she wouldn't BE in my house.


I'll give you a couple of examples.

There's no way I'd ever consider leaving my husband. He's loving, kind, giving and gentle. We "get" each other. Our sense of humour complements each other's. The most banal of comments can send us into laughter while people around us look at us as if we're nuts (ya, ya). It makes no sense to them, but it makes sense to us, and for whatever reason, it's positively hysterical. On top of that, I've developed the ability to "hook" my husband into saying the goofiest things; as soon as they leave his mouth, his eyes close and his head falls to his chest ~ and I collapse in laughter. And each time, he says the same thing: "You'd think you'd get TIRED of doing this to me!" Hell no, this is entertainment. Then he tackles me.

But when I get like I am now, things change; my thoughts run the gamut from isolating myself within the house, to isolating myself elsewhere, for some pre- determined period of time, to actually leaving permanently. Why? This part is important: because I feel as if he deserves so much better. In my head, he didn't sign on for this. He deserves someone happy and healthy and NORMAL. To me, leaving would be better than "forcing" him to stay married to someone who could conceivably be ill forever. Besides, if I leave first, he can't leave ME.

My husband's thoughts are different, though. Because I work so hard at not taking my frustrations out on him, and do work at recovery, he accepts the bad with the good in the very Zen-like way that works so well for him. In his mind, the benefits far outweigh the unfavourable. He likens it to any other illness, and vows to stand beside me. Ending the marriage would be unthinkable. And when I'm thinking rationally, I feel exactly the same way. I adore him.

Another example concerns my fear of abandonment and is another key issue with Borderlines.

Last summer, my son went with his girlfriend and her family, and another family, on a day trip to Catalina Island. They used the other family's boat, promising to be back in town by 4pm. My son was to keep in touch by cell phone at key points throughout the day, as my fears of injury/death are very real to me, even though others may find them silly.

I got one phone call from my son at the appointed time. After that, I didn't hear from him again. As the hours ticked by, my panic rose. I called his phone, and there was no answer. Time and time again I called, leaving message after message. I called his girlfriend's house, trying to find her mother, who hadn't gone on the trip. There was no one anywhere, and I had no idea where to turn. I didn't know the name of the people he had gone with (a one-time mistake I never made again). My husband, in an effort to help me, began making calls, trying to find out if there had been bad weather, or accidents out on the water where they had been. He went so far as to call the coast guard, but they couldn't help since we didn't know the name of the people, or the boat they'd been on, or the exact location where they'd departed from. It didn't take too long before hysteria set in. And it wasn't contrived in any way: I was convinced that he was dead, either at someone else's hands, or in a boating accident. Nothing anyone could say would change that. There was no reason that I could think of that he would simply ignore my request to stay in touch unless there was something wrong.

Six hours after the last time I was supposed to hear from him, he called. Turns out that the cell phone towers wouldn't work in close proximity to the equipment for the sailboats. And on the way back, the family insisted on going scuba diving; then they ran into rough weather, making the trip take three times as long as it should have. And through all of this, he was trying to call.

Abandonment: the biggest curse I face with BPD.

If I toss this wretched LRHG out in the manner that she truly, truly deserves, I believe I'll lose my son. YOUR mind can rationalize his anger, then acceptance, and finally, forgiveness. And even as I write it, MINE cannot. He'll simply stop loving me, leave home, and eventually write me out of his life.

You see, the way it works for "us" is, when you're out of our sight, you cease to exist, in some ways. We need constant reinforcement that you love us, or some other tangible proof of your existence. When I moved here, I brought my eldest son's shoes, and my middle son's jersey. Yes, I have pictures. I needed something else. I needed that "proof" that they still existed.

So my choice is ... the very real risk of losing my son, or two more months of hell. It's really not as cut and dried as it seems.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what you're saying. And honestly it somewhat scares me. I've been reading your blog on and off ever since I left a comment about how I see myself getting into somewhat the same situation with my 18 year old son and his girlfriend (he had asked if she could live with us). I don't remember when that was and I'm too lazy to go back and find it. Anyway, I want to check/read your blog every day but what scares me about it and this entry that you made is that I do understand you. Because for years now I have often had the thought that I have bipolarism and borderline personality disorder. Only I don't want to know and I don't want anyone else to know so much that for a moment I thought about not putting my real name on this comment (how stupid is that!??). So I haven't sought help except that I went back to my general practitioner this past February and asked for an anti-depressant. But anyway...I just wanted you to know that there is someone out here that reads your blog that does understand what you've just explained. And you are so right..it's really not as cut and dried as it seems.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Meggy said...

Hi Cheryl;

Welcome to the insanity.

Here's what I know for sure: mental illness is NOT well accepted in the U.S. For whatever reason, people seem to think it's a choice as opposed to an illness. Where I'm from it's not like that. I don't get it. But here's the thing:

Bipolar Disorder is a chemical disorder that's treatable with medications and therapy.

Borderline Personality Disorder is an Axis II mental disorder that is treatable with medication and therapy.

GET HELP.

Through my posts you may see the word "recovery" used several times. That's because it IS possible to put the demons of BPD at bay, but first and foremost it takes acceptance and understanding of the disorder. Therapy is essential in helping you learn.

Bipolar Disorder is also controllable. While medication is essential, you'll have setbacks, and it takes months or even years to tweak your medications to find the right combination for you.

With all due respect, if you do indeed have both illnesses, an antidepressant alone will not do nearly enough. The "cocktail" I use is:

Depakote: 1000 mg
Topomax: 75 mg
Seroquel: 100 mg nightly, and up to 100 mg throughout the day in 25 mg doses
Lorazepam: 1 mg, as needed.

I HIGHLY (let me emphasize highly) recommend the book, "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me", by Harold J. Kreisman.

If you want to just check in and ask questions, there's a forum for recovery called, "BPDRecovery.com".

5:17 PM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

What a good post Bo bo bo!

If you are afraid of not coming across as logical just reread this. It makes sense.

As for the redhead...put itching powder on her thongs. That makes sense too.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Meggy said...

Don't make me think about her thongs. Don't make me don't make me don't make me.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Meggy said...

And by the way, it took me two and a half hours hours to write the damned post. And dic.com. :| I have drain brammage.

7:01 PM  
Blogger The Absent Minded Housewife said...

Yesterday I forgot which side of the envelope the stamp went on.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

I know, somethings are easier said than done. My darling husband gets pissed at me because he says I expect everyone to have my strength for dealing with shit that seems tough to other people. I try to remember that everything isn't alway so black and white to people both emotionally healthy and people that aren't.
I still wish you would throw her ltitle fanny out though :-)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Meggy said...

I know that the next time something comes up that irritates me (such as hearing her cut him down, or breaking a house rule), I will toss her ass out. Period.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh.my.gosh

I read your post and re-read your post. Im there...I feel you. My poor husband. I had no idea that my repeated phone calls to his cell when he isnt home at the time I expect him could have underlying reasons. Or that I freak out on the smallest negative comment...turning it into the biggest fight...or that my constant nagging feeling of just "getting away" for everyone elses sake could be signs of something deeper.....I completely "get you" in this post.

Thanks for making me look inward too!!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Meggy said...

There are several mental illnesses whose symptoms mirror those of BPD. It's worth investigating, because if you do indeed suffer from one of them, there's help out there.

There are nine symptoms of BPD. If you have five of nine, you're considered to have the disorder. I have eight. Thankfully, even though I occasionally resent my husband, I have never hated him (goes to something referred to as "splitting"...love then hate...good then bad. Never any grey area).

I do, however, also have Bipolar Disorder. On any given day, I get to try to figure out which symptoms of which disorder I'm feeling, and try to medicate accordingly. Life is entertaining as fuck.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home