Life On The Border

Wouldn't it be lovely to add another upbeat and cheery blog to the world? Don't hold your breath. You'll get what I get: sometimes great, sometimes crap. It's a rollercoaster ride with Sybil at the switch, so hold on to your shorts! If you have questions you want answered in a future post, feel free to ask in the comments section, and I'll do my best to accommodate you. No two days are the same~some days I'm here, some days I'm not, but lemme tell ya, kids, IT'S NEVER DULL!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Time Marches On: Cut It's Legs Off!

Sunday marked the passing of another milestone in our lives: we took our youngest son off to college, like thousands of other parents around the state. We left very early so that we'd be near the front of the line for his room assignment, since they were short on beds and had moved them three to a room. In earlier tours, we'd noticed that some poor unfortunate was going to have a top bunk that nearly guaranteed it's occupant banging his head on the ceiling each and every time his alarm went off in the morning.

We were lucky and were #11 in line! Since nearly 1000 kids were going to check into the housing units we were heading into, we were pretty happy. After two hours of sitting outside, we discovered that we were indeed the first to get into his room, and he could happily peruse the room and decide what bed, desk and armoir he wanted. So far, so good. He took a different top bunk, which was about a foot lower than the "high" top bunk, so he could use his game system on top of an armoir, as well as watch a tv sitting up there (priorities man, priorities). Then he sat at a desk with a great, large window, overlooking quite a bit of green space and into the windows of other dorms. This turned out to be QUITE a bonus later on when one of the co-eds decided she should dance in front of this window in a skimpy tank top and exceedingly short shorts. The boy just sat and ... sat. And sat. He LOVES college life!

Having three boys move into this room meant for two is quite the exercise in logistics. I know how boys live. It's all very neat and tidy, because their MOTHERS moved them in! But they're slobs and they spread themselves over every square inch they're given. I have NO clue how this is going to work out. I feel certain that within a week, none of them will be able to find any of their clothing. But my son's X-box will be safe on top of his armoir ...

It's very quiet at home now. This should be a good thing, right? Well, it is, I suppose. Except the LRHM isn't going quietly into this good night; she's decided that she should make sure she's still involved in my life. How, you ask? Well, she takes nasty, barely-veiled shots at me through my son's MySpace page which drives me absolutely NUTS. Keep in mind, I'm nuts already. Talk about driving me to distraction. I have told him that he needs to tell her to cease and desist, but it doesn't appear to be having much effect. What I can't figure out is that on the weekend, she's going to come to my home and want to come in. Hmmmm ... how's THIS going to work? Shall I simply go head-to-head with her? Ugh, I don't know. Dr. Know says I should let it go, that I'm the adult and it's my responsibility to de-escalate this. Well, I'd get way more satisfaction out of beating her into something resembling mashed potatoes.

Anyway, my nest is empty. My house is a mess (ya, I'll clean it next week) and I don't know what to do with myself. Motivation is scarce. Sitting seems good. Maybe I'll do more of that.

Bo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home